[CMake] assembly files with masm in vs2005 64bit

Bram de Greve bram.degreve at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 06:18:22 EDT 2008

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:06:22 +0100
> From: Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: [CMake] assembly files with masm in vs2005 64bit
> To: cmake at cmake.org
>
> Hi Bram,
>
> Please test the attached files.
> They still shouldn't find ml64.exe, but I added some debug output I'd like
> see. So, please use them and post the output.
> In which directory is ml64.exe on your system ?
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

On the nmake front: the problem with the unresolved symbols is one of
building a DLL instead of static library, and the symbols don't get exported
...  So, at least, I'm successful at using masm with nmake.

That still leaves open the issue of the visual studio projects not including
any build rule for the assembly.  So it's not a build rule that fails, but
it is simply missing ...

Here's the output you requested for

Visual Studio 2005 Win64 generator:

Check for working C compiler: cl
Check for working C compiler: cl -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler: cl
Check for working CXX compiler: cl -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_PATH: -
CMAKE_C_COMPILER: -cl
TOOLCHAIN LOCATION: -
Didn't find assembler
Loaded CMakeASM_MASMInformation - ASM_MASM support is still experimental,
please report issues
Configuring done

For comparison, this is what I get using the nmake generator (which
immediately gives you the locations requested for. it can be assumed
ml64.exe is next to cl.exe):

The C compiler identification is MSVC
The CXX compiler identification is MSVC
Check for CL compiler version
Check for CL compiler version - 1400
Check if this is a free VC compiler
Check if this is a free VC compiler - no
Check CL platform
Check CL platform - 64 bit
Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe
Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual
Studio 8/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe
Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual
Studio 8/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_PATH: -
CMAKE_C_COMPILER: -C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe
TOOLCHAIN LOCATION: -C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/bin/amd64
Found assembler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/bin/amd64/ml64.exe
Loaded CMakeASM_MASMInformation - ASM_MASM support is still experimental,
please report issues

Thanks for your help,
Bram

--
hi, i'm a signature viruz, plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)