[CMake] Initial C# support (was Re: Adding support for new languages to CMake)

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 18:58:56 EDT 2008

Hi David,

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:27 AM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> I use ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND to specify the exact C# compiler command line that
> I want...

That's what I was saying, this is *very* cumbersome. I need to handle
the optimization flag, the linking, specify whether this is a
target:exe / winexe / library / module.
I found out that csc v1.1 (.NET framework) is very picky with source
full path (it did not work for me with cmake forward slash path...), I
had to use relative path + specific working directory.
For a large code base you'll want to use an intermediate
representation to avoid recompilation.
Once you get the compilation part working, you still have to tell
cmake how to install those special target.

Anyway I am fine with custom command, as long as I can give users a
clean API to use (not directly ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND), is the project you
are talknig about available somewhere ?

> There is much more to full C# language support than just getting it to
> compile/link successfully. (Involving .csproj files vs. .vcproj files,

ok

> resources,

doesn't the current .res framework in cmake works already ?

> references, strong naming, blah, blah, blah.....)

I do not know what those are. Is this really necessary at first ?

--
Mathieu