[CMake] Merging static libraries

Emmanuel Blot eblotml at free.fr
Wed Oct 15 18:18:19 EDT 2008

> Well, sometimes just explaining the problem to somebody already
> helps :-)

It does, yes. Thanks again.

The fact is that this library "merging" thing has been existing for a
while. I've changed a directory name and forgot to update the
CMakeListst.txt file accordingly.
The error looked really like another issue I've never been able to
track down (see below), so I thought I finally had a way to track down
the issue. Truth is that I got it wrong: two issues were not related ;-)

The error I can't resolved is something that only occurs on Linux
Ubuntu hosts.
Our CMakeListst.txt files do work on Cygwin, Linux Debian & Mandriva,
and Mac OS X. But it sometimes fails on Linux Ubuntu.
It looks like a dependency inversion, although I still need to
investigate the actual error: sometimes the generated "merged" library
contains code from previous builds, i.e. like if the library merge
were occurring before the actual compilation of the unit libraries...

The only difference I can think of between Ubuntu and other hosts is
the shell: Dash (100% POSIX) vs. Bash. But I don't see how this could
impact the results of a CMake/Makefile build sessions. This is really
weird...

Cheers,
Manu