[CMake] "Command line too long" under Windows

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Oct 15 10:34:20 EDT 2008

Brad King wrote:
> CMake once just listed the object files on the command line in the
> makefile, but users hit command line length limits with several hundred
> object files.  We solved the problem by listing the objects in a
> response file.  Now it looks like you've hit another limit of the MSVC
> tools.  The fix to CMake will have to be to create *multiple* response
> files each of which is under 131071 characters.  Please submit a request

Nevermind, I've already fixed it.  Please try building from CVS HEAD to
make sure it fixes your problem.

STYLE: Remove computed but unused variable.
/cvsroot/CMake/CMake/Source/cmMakefileExecutableTargetGenerator.cxx,v
<--  Source/cmMakefileExecutableTargetGenerator.cxx
/cvsroot/CMake/CMake/Source/cmMakefileLibraryTargetGenerator.cxx,v  <--
 Source/cmMakefileLibraryTargetGenerator.cxx

ENH: Factor out listing of objects on command line
/cvsroot/CMake/CMake/Source/cmMakefileExecutableTargetGenerator.cxx,v
<--  Source/cmMakefileExecutableTargetGenerator.cxx
/cvsroot/CMake/CMake/Source/cmMakefileLibraryTargetGenerator.cxx,v  <--
 Source/cmMakefileLibraryTargetGenerator.cxx
/cvsroot/CMake/CMake/Source/cmMakefileTargetGenerator.cxx,v  <--
Source/cmMakefileTargetGenerator.cxx
/cvsroot/CMake/CMake/Source/cmMakefileTargetGenerator.h,v  <--
Source/cmMakefileTargetGenerator.h

ENH: Support object lists longer than 128K on MSVC