[CMake] MSVC71 problems when upgrading to CMake 2.6.2

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Oct 9 15:48:21 EDT 2008

Luke Kucalaba wrote:
> First problem is that you will still have
> build configurations in your MSVC project regardless.  There is no way
> that I know of to disable generation of build configurations in MSVC.

This is just the way the VS IDE works.  A basic CMake design principle
is to follow the conventions of the native build tools for which it is
generating.  If you don't like it, then the IDE is not for you.  Use the
NMake generator instead.

> The second problem I have with this target-based approach is that the
> "set target properties" command does not allow exclusive, direct
> command-line manipulation of the compiler and linker.  There are is no
> COMPILE_FLAGS_DEBUG and COMPILE_FLAGS_RELEASE properties.  It is nice
> that   I see that there ARE properties for LINK_FLAGS_DEBUG and
> LINK_FLAGS_RELEASE though.

There is a feature request for this:

  http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=6493

work is underway but not complete.