[CMake] NMake problems when upgrading to CMake 2.6.2

Luke Kucalaba lkucalaba at dsci.com
Thu Oct 9 11:51:37 EDT 2008

Our software team is having problems upgrading to CMake 2.6.2 from our
current working build system that uses CMake 2.4.7.  In particular, we
are using the "Visual Studio 7 .NET 2003", "NMake Makefiles", "Unix
Makefiles", and "CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles" project/makefile
generators.

The first problem we encountered was with generating "NMake Makefiles".
We use the "Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" optimizing compiler in
conjunction with the rest of the Visual Studio 7 .NET 2003 tools (like
resource compiler and IDE), because we have a license for MSVC 7.1 and
for the most part it does what we need it to do, and there is no reason
for us to pay for an upgrade to another IDE or compiler on Windows.
Anyway, that being said, I wrote a MSDOS batch script (vctoolkit.bat,
attached) that sets the appropriate combination of "Visual Studio 7 .NET
2003 Standard" and "Visual Studio  .NET Optimizing Toolkit" environment
variables, by calling vcvars32.bat, and then by manually overriding the
PATH,INCLUDE,LIB environment variables to point to the optimizing
toolkit.  We also discovered that in addition to this, we needed to
physically move a number of files out of the standard .NET bin folder so
that the optimizing compiler wouldn't try to use those VC7 "standard"
runtime files when performing multiple compile/link/compile/link steps
internally (btw, the conflicting bin files we had to move are: c1.dll,
c1xx.dll, c2.dll, cl.exe, cl.exe.config, link.exe, link.exe.config).
This was a bit challenging to set up at first (back when CMake 2.4.7 was
released), but now we are satisfied that this method of configuring the
command-line environment for nmake is satisfactory for our purposes and
should invoke the optimizing compiler when using nmake (from .NET
standard).

I attached to this email a stdout/stderr dump of the cmake trace output.

N:\dsci\repo\WMI\trunk\wxWMI\src\nmake>cmake --trace -G"NMake Makefiles"
.. > nmake-gen-trace.log 2>&1

  Generating NMake using CMake 2.6.2 (command-prompt)

N:\dsci\repo\WMI\trunk\wxWMI\src\nmake>vctoolkit

--- Setting Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 environment variables...
---

Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 tools.

(If you have another version of Visual Studio or Visual C++ installed
and wish

to use its tools from the command line, run vcvars32.bat for that
version.)

Done.

N:\dsci\repo\WMI\trunk\wxWMI\src\nmake>cmake -G "NMake Makefiles" ..

-- The C compiler identification is unknown

-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown

-- Check for CL compiler version

-- Check for CL compiler version - failed

-- Check if this is a free VC compiler

-- Check if this is a free VC compiler - yes

-- Check CL platform

-- Check CL platform - 64 bit

-- Using FREE VC TOOLS, NO DEBUG available

-- Check for working C compiler: cl

CMake Error: your C compiler: "cl" was not found.   Please set
CMAKE_C_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed

-- Check for working C compiler: cl -- broken

CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
2.6/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:32 (MESSAGE):

  The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test program.

  It fails with the following output:

  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.

Call Stack (most recent call first):

  :2308322 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: your C compiler: "cl" was not found.   Please set
CMAKE_C_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "cl" was not found.   Please set
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

* Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

We did not encounter any problems like this when building MSVC71 NMake
makefiles with CMake 2.4.7.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, it
would be greatly appreciated.  I'm pretty much stumped and at this point
I am willing to try anything to get this to work.  Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Luke

Luke Kucalaba

Senior Software Engineer