[CMake] unnecessary linker options when compiling executables with mingw/gcc

Werner Smekal smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 2 03:53:48 EDT 2008

Hi,

recently I found out (make VERBOSE=1) that when an executable is
compiled with MinGW Makefiles some linker options are in the command
line, which should be in my opinion only necessary for libraries:

-Wl,--out-implib,libtest.dll.a
-Wl,--major-image-version,0,--minor-image-version,0

I could reproduce this options with a simple test case (files attached).
Compiling this project gives (MinGW Makefiles):

Linking C executable test.exe
C:\DevZone\cmake-2.6.2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_link_script
CMakeFiles\test.dir\link.txt --verbose=1
C:\DevZone\MinGW-3.4.5\bin\gcc.exe     CMakeFiles\test.dir\test.c.obj
-o test.exe -Wl,--out-implib,libtest.dll.a
-Wl,--major-image-version,0,--minor-image-version,0

It doesn't seem to have any implications, apart maybe from this message:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg15862.html

Any ideas?

Werner