Fwd: [CMake] Globally add compiler options for gcc

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:33:32 EST 2008

I did forget the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>
Date: 4 janv. 2008 18:33
Subject: Re: [CMake] Globally add compiler options for gcc
To: Stephen Collyer <scollyer at netspinner.co.uk>

2008/1/4, Stephen Collyer <scollyer at netspinner.co.uk>:
> This is almost certainly a FAQ but I can't find
> an answer anywhere: I'm building using gcc under
> Linux and VS2005 under Win32. I want to add, say,
> -Wall globally to everything compiled under Linux
> but leave the compile options for Win32 untouched.

You may put in your main CMakeLists.txt

IF(UNIX)
    IF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCC)
         ADD_DEFINITION(-Wall)
    ENDIF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCC)
ENDIF(UNIX)

This example checks for being under UNIX and GCC is the compiler.
If you want to restrict to Linux you should add a test
for CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME value to match "Linux".

In this particular case and if you only compile C code
you may replace ADD_DEFINITIONS with:

SET(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_C_FLAGS} -Wall")

If you want more stringent checks
you add "-Werror -pedantic -ansi" to your "-Wall" :=)

> How do I do that ?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steve Collyer