[CMake] CMake and Lua

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 02:32:42 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:12 AM, James Mansion
<james at mansionfamily.plus.com> wrote:
> Ken Martin wrote:
>  > other's variables out of the box. But with the Modules directory we either
>  > have to have a copy of each module for every possible scripting language, on
>  > the fly converters between any two scripting languages, or something like
>  > that to make it work. Trying to figure out how to manage the mixed
>  >
>  Surely the idea is that modules should be self contained: they expose
>  data by registering
>  it into the CMake core (possibly with callbacks) and interface to other
>  modules through
>  the core.  Modules can be in different languages without the issue you
>  indicate (or,
>  the modularity is poor and the binding too tight).

Seems like an invitation to polyglot development.  I regularly have to
read the contents of modules to find out what they do.  I suppose for
me personally, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker to have to read the raw
code of FindXXX in 7 different languages.  However, it would make it a
PITA to install and build CMake, with all the different languages that
would have to be present to facilitate it.  Not all systems are Linux,
it isn't a given that all the languages are packaged and nicely
pre-deployed.  I also suspect that the majority of developers would be
less forgiving about the scattered, haphazard quality of the
documentation that would inevitably result.

Mr. Miyagi from "The Karate Kid" said something like, "better to know
1 kick well."

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every