[CMake] General questions

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:07:02 EST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> Not sure. I'll let the cmake developers answer that one.
>>> CMake is a _replacement_ for AutoTools but NOT make. CMake will generate
>>> a system specific MakeFile for the system it is run on. The Makefiles
>>> are NOT portable across systems unless those systems are EXACT MIRROR
>>> COPIES of each other. Running cmake is the same as doing ./configure in
>>> an autotools project.
>> I'm aware of this, but I was wondering if cmake can generate autotools
>> inputs so as to create POSIX-portable preferably-GNU-compliant packages.
>
> That doesn't make sense. CMake projects are portable, without the need
> for intermediate autotool buildfiles. Really CMake and autotools do the
> same thing, just that autotools are not doing it very well.
>
> The idea is that you're going to have cmake installed on your target
> systems, not autotools. You don't need autotools anymore.
>
> Andreas

I understand your point, but support for cmake is not as ubiquitous as
it is for autotools. For instance, a cross-platform build system I'm
using (a bitbake/openembedded derivative) does not support cmake. As
another example, a tool I use for best-effort management of software
packages (http://toastball.net/toast/) does not support cmake.

I suppose the answer to my question, then, is "no." :)

--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/