[CMake] How to prevent relinking targets with shared libraries

blinkeye gentoo at blinkeye.ch
Thu Feb 21 15:57:03 EST 2008

Hi guys

I'm getting along very well (and quickly!) with porting two large
projects from Makefiles to CMake. Actually, 3 projects will follow later
on (and possibly more). Yeah, CMake is actually THAT great. I just
wanted to share my delight and acknowledgement of this tool, it makes
developing C/C++ code just more fun.

Back to the topic: I wonder if it isn't possible to prevent relinking
targets with a shared library if you didn't change any interface? Isn't
this one of the reason for using shared libraries? I implemented a
switch for either creating static libraries (like it used to be with the
old Makefiles) or shared libraries. At the moment I'm just creating
plain .so libs, without any version number (so far I didn't happen to
come across a shared library tutorial with cmake), maybe this is the
problem? Does cmake support such a versioning and would that resolve the
relinking?

Regards