[CMake] Re: FindXXX, XXXConfig and UseXXX

Fernando Cacciola fernando.cacciola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:03:01 EST 2008

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 3:34 PM, Fernando Cacciola
> <fernando.cacciola at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> XXXConfig.cmake should ...
>>
>> FindXXX.cmake shoud ...
>>
>> UseXXX.cmake should set include directories, libraries, compiler and
>> linker
>> flags, etc, based on the settings defined in a XXXConfig.cmake that must
>> has
>> been processed already.
>
> I've yet to use any of the current UseXXX modules.  I looked at the
> source for one of them.  All they're doing aside from the usual
> FindXXX stuff is defining some macros, which you can choose to call or
> not call.  I don't see a point in breaking all this functionality up
> into 3 different include files.  1 is fine; you choose to call
> whatever macros you want to call.

Ha, but the UseXXX I was thinking about does the:

include_directories( ${XXX_INCLUDE_DIRS} ${XXX_THIRD_PARTY_INCLUDE_DIRS}  )
add_definitions( ${XXX_DEFINITIONS} ${XXX_THIRD_PARTY_DEFINITIONS}  )

etc...

>> XXX users would load XXX in their own programs via:
>>

>> find_package(XXX)
>>
>> if ( XXX_FOUND )
>>
>>   include( ${XXX_USE_FILE} )
>>
>> endif()
>
> What's wrong with:
>
> include(findXXX)

That a users needs to point to findXXX (and there could be various versions
of XXX installed on the system)

Best

--
Fernando Cacciola