[CMake] converting VS projects to CMake

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 08:08:48 EST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 7:32 AM, Sylvain Benner <benner at virtools.com> wrote:

> > Training and mastery is often perceived as taking too long though.  I
> > think CMake would be a lot better off if it could say, "Hey presto
> > here are some results!"  Enough to make people realize that their
> > conversion isn't hopeless and imponderable, that all they really have
> > to do is dive in and clean up the translation output.
> >
> That's a good point, it can be a tool for training and learning CMake
> but if the converted projects files does not work it can also be
> unmotivated.

And if you do everything by manual labor and you run out of time and
budget, that's unmotivated.  Enough with the unmotivated.  Let's get
motivated!  CMake's Killer App would be a build conversion evaluator
that gives hope to the project, and incrementally leads to a full
translation.  That is the vision.  Do you want to help with that or do
you want to leave me to figure it out?

> Maybe it is better to talk about an export tool instead of a conversion
> tool. Conversion implies it should work after conversion, if it does not
> work I probably delete this tool from my system.

Expert tool, conversion tool, slick nonsense marketing campaign,
brilliant whitepaper, I don't care.  Whatever works.  I take all
preferred technical terms under advisement.  Do you understand what
I'm getting at?  You've been around the block with a ponderous build,
surely you've got an inventory of ideas about how these behemoths go,
how you could better present the job to the client, and how you could
better manage the risk of it succeeding or failing.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every