[CMake] converting VS projects to CMake

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:24:37 EST 2008

Someone asked me the other day why CMake doesn't do this.  I thought I
gave him a reasonable answer, that it would be painful to do, and that
CMake --> native is a much easier problem than native --> CMake.  But
I said I would ask here for other people's opinions on it.  I have
experience converting a large Autoconf + GMake project to CMake.  At
the time I used piles upon piles of regular expressions.  I can think
of more sophisticated ways to do the parsing and translation.  But no
matter what technology is chosen, it's a lot of work.  I'm sure the
same would be true for MSVC, plus MSVC changes its format every few
years.  Does MSVC pose any other special difficulties, other than
sheer mind-numbingness of translation?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every