[CMake] 4th Edition CMake book now in stock

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed Feb 6 17:05:20 EST 2008

Kitware has no plans to release an electronic version of the CMake book at
this time. Kitware sells the ITK book and also makes it available for free
as a pdf. So we do have a track record and real multi-year data concerning
making a technical book available in two different mediums and we have some
idea of how it impacts the viablility of a book. We have not tried releasing
it as a copy protected pdf but many of us are not huge fans of copy
protection so, meh. Quite simply it is not financially viable for CMake at
this point. Perhaps once CMake grows another factor of four in market
penetration it will be viable.

And on that financial note I do want to say a big thank you to the folks who
put their money into making CMake as viable and beneficial as it is:

-- The National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ and the other
sponsors of the ITK project http://www.itk.org/

-- The National Alliance for Medical Image Computing http://www.na-mic.org/

-- Sandia National Labs http://sandia.gov/

-- The Advanced Computing Lab at LANL http://www.acl.lanl.gov/

-- Everyone who has purchased a CMake book :)

And a big thanks to those who put their time into helping debug problems
with CMake, or answering other people's questions, or teaching a noob
coworker how to get started, or writing a new module, etc. Without all of
you CMake would not survive.

Thanks
Ken