[CMake] Invoking "make" with CMake scripts?

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Mon Dec 1 10:54:14 EST 2008

Robert Dailey schrieb:
> I generally like keeping libraries in version control because it makes it
> convenient to start working from a fresh checkout. This is really only an
> issue with Windows, since most linux distributions have a package management
> system that makes it trivial to install third party library dependencies. On
> Windows, it's quite a pain to visit various websites and downloads the
> limitless number of dependencies. If you flatten the dependency tree, you'll
> probably end up downloading 10 or more different libraries, each of which is
> pretty difficult to build on Windows. A developer on windows could be
> looking at a couple of hours before the project is ready to compile. Am I
> looking at this the wrong way, or is this just the reality all Windows
> developers have to face?

I would keep this separate. You only need to setup the environment once.
This is a completely different task then the actual development.
Additionally: why not provide one package for your developers that they
only have to unpack to some dir and can start? Why should they all
compile the same thing? This way, only one has to go through the trouble
of porting an compiling the stuff.
That is roughly equal to installing your distribution's packages.

HS