[CMake] custom configuration types and linking with 3rd-party libs

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Fri Aug 29 20:09:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> FYI, we're planning to eventually get rid of the optimized/debug link
> type keywords in favor of the more flexible IMPORTED target approach.
> We will not be accepting changes that encourage further use of these
> keywords.

Brad,

I've had a look at your previous posts and I agree that IMPORTED targets
look very flexible and could be used to solve the problem.

Unfortunately I think they're going to prove difficult to get people to
switch to.  I don't even want to speculate as to how long it will take to
modify all of the find modules to support the interface before it's even
possible to switch user code over to use the new feature.

Ultimately, TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES() works just fine the way it is with the
debug/optimized keywords satisfying normal use cases.  The debug/optimized
keywords are in the lexicon and they aren't going anywhere.  What is the
harm in accepting a patch (if a user submitted one) that facilitated global
association of custom build configurations with the debug/optimized
keywords?  I'm honestly surprised that this has been hardcoded for as long
as it has been.

--
Philip Lowman