[CMake] Using Intel Integrated Performance Primitives (IPP) in CMake

Mike Jackson mike.jackson at imts.us
Wed Aug 20 12:06:13 EDT 2008

Just a slow day while we wrap some things up and I was looking
through the Intel IPP documentation and there are a whole slew of
optimized string functions that come with the Intel C++ compiler. I
was wondering a few things about using these within cmake (since
cmake seems to be parsing lots and lots of strings).

1) Has anyone tried out the IPP string functions to see if they
really do generate faster code
2) If no one has, what would be a good place to try these functions
out? I am looking in cmSystemTools at the moment. In other words,
what would be the "low hanging" fruit to try and optimize with these
functions (if any more optimization can be done)?
3) How much friction would there be to have these as an option in the
cmake code base? For those of us with the Intel C++ Compiler at our
disposal?

4) Is the string parsing really any sort of bottle neck in the first
place?

Again, just a slow day and was curious. Comments welcome...

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer