[CMake] Cpack and cmake's install commands with absolute destination value

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Aug 8 11:07:30 EDT 2008

DESTDIR will not work with Windows style paths including a "C:". In fact, it
may not work at all on Windows. In general, it's a bad idea to force files
into a C:/work (or any other non-standard) directory. Windows installers
typically default to putting their programs and all of their files into the
"C:/Program Files" directory. Some will also install per-user files into
each user's My Documents folder.
The well-supported type of installer produced by the default cpack/NSIS
combination is a self-contained directory of files that is installed to an
end-user-choosable directory (which happens to default to C:/Program
Files)...

Why do you need to install files to a C:/work directory? Can they not be
installed to a "work" sub-directory of your program's installation instead?

A good Windows program will be entirely self-contained, or depend only on
system components that are already there.

You can certainly customize the NSIS script to install files to a particular
directory if you must, but I would strongly recommend against it.

HTH,
David