[CMake] Component group specific installation with Makefile

Yuri V. Timenkov ytimenkov at parallels.com
Wed Aug 6 13:55:52 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 17:43:18 Yann Cointepas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to define component group (or installation type)
> specific installation targets in a Makefile ?
>
> I work on Linux. I have defined three CPack component groups (and/or
> installation types) for my project: runtime, devel and doc and I would
> like to be able to install all components of each group separately
> (for example with make install_doc). I only found a way to install a
> single component (not a component group) by defining
> CPACK_INSTALL_CMAKE_PROJECTS variable in CMakeLists.txt.
If you need to install single component (not group), then you can write simple
custom target, which invokes CMake in command mode (look how "install" target
implemented in Makefile).

I came to conclusion that only CPack can install multiple components. See my
last comments in http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6835 about
installing arbitrary set of components in CPack. (this is kind of hack in
CPack to include in "ALL" target only necessary components).

You can write custom make targets which make simple tgz or zip package with
CPack and then unpack it.