[CMake] Maximum path length in CMakeFiles

Frans.Fuerst at elektrobit.com Frans.Fuerst at elektrobit.com
Wed Aug 6 07:37:09 EDT 2008

Hi again,

might there be a maximum path length limitation in CMake (or perhaps in nmake)? Trying to compile a library I have to comment out every source file that leads to a CMakeFiles/... object file with a total path length of over 200.

Is that a known problem and can I avoid it despite by shorten the path names?

thanks,
Frans

circumstances:

* CMake 2.6.1
* Windows XP
* compiling on Windows command line
* building for nmake

error message:

Assembler messages:
FATAL: can't create CMakeFiles\\...\    [long path]  \...\\File.cpp.o: No such file or directory
C:\\   [long path]   \\File.cpp:524: fatal error: error writing to -:
 Invalid argument
compilation terminated.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\PROGRA~1\CSLARM~1\bin\AR014C~1.EXE' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Please note: This e-mail may contain confidential information
intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please do not disclose it to anyone, notify
the sender promptly, and delete the message from your system.
Thank you.