[CMake] How to build a cross-compiling toolchain

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Aug 4 17:22:03 EDT 2008

Hi,

just a note: please keep the mails on the list, so it can help everybody.

On Friday 01 August 2008, 王汉斌 wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> Thanks for the replying. My aim is to set up a cross-compling toolchain,
> just like a makefile, to tell the platform environment how to bulid the
> project.

Ok so far.

> So the cross compiler I think should be the gcc-3.3.6, glibc &
> glibc-linuxthreads -2.3.2 and binutils-2.15? But can those be used in
> ARM9-linux target environment?

Well, you need the compiler and binutils in the cross compiling variants for
ARM, then they will work. Do you have them already ?
If not, there are several available, e.g. Denx comes with toolchains, or you
can get gcc from Code Sourcery or many other locations.

> My understanding is that what cmake doing is
> just like a simple makefile to tell the system how to use compiler to build
> a project. Is it right?

Yes.

Alex