[CMake] cmake 2.6 cross compilation for WINCE

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Apr 16 15:30:37 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, David Blado wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I understand that CMake 2.6 will fully support cross compilation.  I
> assume that this means (with the right toolchain file) that I should be
> able to build for any Windows CE SDK (Pocket PC, Windows Mobile,
> Standard CE).

Yes.

> If that assumption is correct, my question is whether the
> generated CMake will be sln/vcproj or NMake only.  It would be great to
> generate sln/vcproj files for WinCE if possible.

In general, there is no problem with having cmake support Win CE with
makefiles and with project files.
But currently it is not supported. Somebody who wants to have this must go
ahead and work on it. I don't have a windows machine at hand and I also don't
have experience with Win CE.

The steps would be the following:

-refactor the CMake/Modules/Platform/Windows-cl.cmake file so it can support
the MS cross compilers
currently it assumes that cl is either x86 32bit, and if it is not, then it is
x86 64 bit. This needs to be reworked so it can also handle other
architectures.

-maybe: a platform file CMake/Modules/Platform/WinCE.cmake has to be created,
but maybe also the generic Windows.cl works, you will see

If this is done, it should be possible to build software for Win CE with cl
using the makefile generators.

After that somebody has to take a look at the sln/vcporj files and see how
they differ from native project files. Depending on the results the
generators have to be modified. This should be the only part which requires
actual modifications to the CMake C++ code.

Alex