[CMake] CMake 2.6.0 Beta ready for testing!

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Apr 2 16:25:08 EDT 2008

Mike Jackson wrote:

> Bill,
>   Not having looked at the new CMake.app, if I do rename the .app
> bundle,  is there a command in the CMake.app where I can re-establish
> the symlinks? If not, there probably should be. Both BBEdit and
> TextMate have this as a command under the "Help" menus. They also
> allow the choice of a few different locations such as /usr/local/bin
> or /usr/bin.

I have added a menu option to install the links that can be run after
the install takes place.  The installer is currently just calling
cmake-gui --mac-install.

> I have seen lots of folders get created in /Applications:
>    MS Office.
>  Adobe Photoshop
> Adobe Illustrator
>  Adobe  Anything Really
> Applescript
> Missing Sync For Palm OS
> Roxio Toast Titanium
> Retrospect 6.0
>
> Having folders in /Applications has precedence. Having version numbers
> in the folder name even has precedence. If everything can be contained
> in just the CMake.app bundle then there really isn't a need for an
> enclosing folder, especially if I can rename the .app and then
> re-establish the symlinks from within CMake.app itself.
>

> The folder didn't bother me as much as the all lower case name did. ;-)

Mac folks really are fussy... :)

> Just for an example, I have to keep both FireFox 1.5 and 2.x around,
> so I have folders for each inside /Applications.
I like the folder concept, and don't see the down side that much...

> <philosophical note> Having a simple drag and drop CMake.app install
> is the most preferential because it looks like there isn't a need for
> an installer at this point as long as everything is contained in the
> CMake.app bundle.

I suppose we could.  I like the installer as it prompts the user for the
license, and setting up the command line stuff.  Also, I have something
working automatically with cpack.

-Bill