[CMake] CMake 2.6.0 Beta ready for testing!

David C Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Wed Apr 2 14:37:34 EDT 2008

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Doug Gregor wrote:
> > IMHO, the best way to do this would be to have the app be CMake.app
> > (installed directly in /Applications), then create a symlink called
> > cmake-gui that can used from the command line.
> >
> I still like having a version numbered folder for CMake.
> It would be:
>
> /Applications/CMake 2.6.0/CMake.app
> /Applications/CMake 2.6.1/CMake.app
I don't want to beat a horse that's already down for the count, but I'm
curious why having an executable with the version number in its name
(e.g., /Applications/CMake 2.6.app ) is a bad idea; having folders
in /Applications is un-Mac-like, especially when there will only be a
single thing inside the folder. Furthermore, if an application bundle is
set up properly, it will still work should the user rename the folder --
for instance changing /Applications/CMake.app
to /Applications/CMake-old.app should be OK. If CMake supports renaming
the application bundle then you could even distribute it
as /Applications/CMake.app and let users rename if they want multiple
installed versions. Is CMake just not there yet?

	David