[CMake] Interresting dependency problem

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Sep 27 19:07:46 EDT 2007

On 2007-09-27 21:53+0200 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> On 27.09.07 12:31:31, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

>>> pkgconfig _is_ portable. It works on all the mentioned platforms, AFAIK.
>>
>> To reinforce Hendrik's point, http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/ has the
>> following to say:
>>
>> "pkg-config works on multiple platforms: Linux and other UNIX-like operating
>> systems, Mac OS X and Windows. It does not require anything but a reasonably
>> well working C compiler and a C library, but can use an installed glib if
>> that is present. (A copy of glib 1.2.8 is shipped together with pkg-config
>> and this is sufficient for pkg-config to compile and work properly.)"
>
> No it doesn't work properly on win32 - AFAIK. Thats the reason why all
> cmake FindXXX modules for KDE4/win32 don't use pkgconfig. I'm not sure
> wether it was about the paths in the .pc files or something else, but
> fact is that pkconfig is unusable in _plain_ win32 (without msys, which
> I think creates problems when using cmake).
>
> And a link from the pkgconfig website claiming it works properly is not
> really a proof ;)

I absolutely agree.  :-)

Also, I certainly have no positive proof that pkg-config works on windows
(of any kind) because I don't use that platform, which is why I quoted the
website.  That said, the pkg-config people did make that claim on their
website (why claim it if not true?), and pkg-config is really quite simple
(a C programme + glib library) so I would be very surprised if it didn't
work for some combination of windows with or without MinGW and with or
without MSYS.

So just out of curiosity are you reporting your own first-hand results for
the latest version of pkg-config or something that might have been
historically true?  If others here have tried modern pkg-config for the
various windows flavours (with or without MinGW, with or without MSYS) I
would also be curious about your results as well.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).