[CMake] Finding library dependencies

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed May 23 14:37:02 EDT 2007

Quoting Hendrik Sattler <post at hendrik-sattler.de>:

> Am Mittwoch 23 Mai 2007 16:28 schrieb Pau Garcia i Quiles:
>> I am writing a FindQwt5.cmake script. As Qwt 5.x can be dynamically
>> linked against Qt3 or Qt4, on Unix I use 'ldd' to find out (on most
>> cases) what version of Qt is Qwt linked to.
>>
>> Is there anything like 'ldd' in Windows which is installed by default
>> on the system? I mean, Dependency Walker ships with Visual Studio but
>> it is not installed by default and what about Borland users? Is there
>> anything like that?
>
> If Qwt does not provide proper stuff for this, it will always be messy.
> Maybe you should suggest to Qwt upstream to use pkg-config?

I am not a pkg-config expert but I cannot see how it would help here.

The problem with Qwt (and a lot of other open source projects) is it
does not provide an installer or a "make install" target on Windows,
it just compiles to a .dll and a .lib, which you then *manually* move
to someplace.

For pkg-config to be useful, Qwt (or any other project) would need to
provide a qwt.pc file which the user would have to edit to fill in the
prefix, libdir and includedir fields.

I am not saying pkg-config is useless on Windows. I believe it is very
useful but only if combined with an installer. Something as simple as
a .bat which asks the user where to install the libraries and includes
would make pkg-config useful on Windows.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org