[CMake] [Dev] CMake 2.5-20070519 and tool chain support

Kishore, Jonnalagadda (IE10) Kishore.Jonnalagadda at honeywell.com
Wed May 23 09:21:20 EDT 2007

OK. I recently added support for the IAR toolchain in my project. IAR is
quite different when compared to GCC variants that I had used until now.
IAR itself is available for multiple architectures and the difference is
only in the name of the executable (An assumption there... I have only
used it for two architectures).

One problem I faced is that IAR's executables are not found in the PATH
variables and they do not include standard libraries (and headers) when
executed from the command line. So when I offer my project tree to
another I would need to provide additional modules that would search for
the installation path of IAR in their system, set the compiler options
and flags accordingly or complain if not found.

So I need two modules here that would be present in the project tree.
FindIAR.cmake and windows-IAR.cmake. The later could also take care of
the specific architecture requirements. I am not very sure about how it
works currently but I would like that cmake looks into my project tree
for those modules before (or maybe after?) it searches ${CMAKE_ROOT}.

In such cases I also wonder on a few other things. Is it really
necessary that the compiler setting is set in stone? It would be
convenient if the user could start up the GUI and make a selection
there. Can there be enumerated lists that the user can choose from? And
if there can be dynamic changes in lists depending on other variables
(Like toolchain options based on architecture choice). But these are
another topic.

Regards,
Kishore