[CMake] Hints Requested

Richard Wackerbarth richard at nfsnet.org
Fri May 18 09:16:17 EDT 2007

Hi.

I've been using CMake and Dart2 to do simple builds for some time.
It's great!

However, I have a few things that are "hacks" rather than something
that looks nice.
I'd like to clean it up.

I would appreciate it if anyone can point me to examples where
someone has addressed a similar problem.

1) I'm building a number of "tools" and need to test various cases of
the application with real inputs involving different file
configurations.
For example, in one configuration, a file is both "input" and
"output" (For example, a database that gets modified in place). I
need to try various initial conditions.
To do this, I have broken the "test" into 3 tests.
    a) Setup for the test - This calls cmake to perform file
operations to configure a test environment. I remove, copy, configure
the appropriate files into a temporary directory.
    b) Perform the actual test - This test exercises the actual tool
under test.
    c) Evaluate the results - This "test" examines the files left
after the tool finishes to see if they have the correct content.
I would like to combine these 3 parts so that they appear as one
test. For reporting purposes, I'm interested in the execution time of
only part (b).

2) Some of the tests are VERY expensive (in terms of resource time).
For my "Continuous" builds, I would like to have the test performed
only if the tool has been rebuilt.

Thanks,

Richard