[CMake] FindQt4.cmake broken without C language

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu May 10 21:14:42 EDT 2007

On 2007-05-11 00:07+0200 Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> Am Donnerstag 10 Mai 2007 19:39 schrieb Alan W. Irwin:
>> [...]This error is caused by lack of C support.
>
> Yes. It is obviously that way. But it is kind of non-sense to require a C
> compiler for a library like Qt4.

I think you are probably correct to be concerned with a C dependency for the
QT4 module.

Here is my educated guess about what is happening.  I haven't looked into
the FindQT4.cmake module at all, but presumably it does lot of different
tests (QT is a large library with many dependencies), and my guess is that
your discovery of the C dependence means at least one of the tests is done
with a C language test programme.  If that speculation is correct, then it
might be straightforward for you to patch the module so all the tests were
done with C++.  My gut feeling is that such C++ purity would probably be a
good thing if a QT4 user was faced with a combination of a bad/nonstandard
C++ compiler and a decent C compiler.  I am sure QT4 users would like to
find out about such C++ compiler problems during tests rather than have all
tests passed because a good C compiler was used for them only to find the
whole thing breaks during the build due to a wonky C++ compiler.

Good luck finding the source of the C dependency.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).