[CMake] Output other then to Makefile

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:27:05 EDT 2007

On May 9, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Mielcarek, Donn wrote:

> I thought of that, but seems to be more pain
> then it's worth (also, other people here
> didn't like the idea).
>
> Now I'm thinking of modifying the cmake source
> to make it do what I want.
>
> I believe I would have to modify 3 things:
>
> 1) the name of the Makefile, e.g. Makefile.FC4
> 2) the install script, cmake_install.cmake
> 3) the CMakeFiles directory (to CMakefiles.FC4)
>
> I think that's all.
>

> On Wednesday 09 May 2007 09:18, Mielcarek, Donn wrote:
> > Is there a way to make cmake output to other then
> > "Makefile" on Linux? e.g. output to something
> > like Makefile.cmake?
>
> No. Does it help if you build out-of-source, this way eventually
> existing
> makefiles in the source tree will not be overwritten.
>
> Bye
> Alex

Could you create a "Build" directory inside the top level of your
project directory, then run cmake from inside the "build" directory.
Doing this will keep all cmake generated files inside this "sandbox"
directory and should not interfere with file outside the sandbox?
     I work this way every day and it works very well. But there may
be some case that I am not thinking of that would stop this from
working.

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer