[CMake] Cmake with Eclipse

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:37:25 EDT 2007

2007/6/21, Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:
> Hi,
>
> CMake cvs now makes adding generators for IDEs which work with external
> makefiles easier.
> There is a new class cmExternalMakefileProjectGenerator, which can be
> subclassed and be used to create project files for your prefered IDE. This is
> currently done that way with the KDevelop generator (for UNIX). The UNIX
> Makefile generator generates all the makefiles as usual, and after that the
> KDevelop generator runs and creates the xml project files for kdevelop which
> basically set up the directories, targets and source files part of this
> project.
>
> Since Eclipse supports also projects with existing makefiles, it should be not
> hard to write such an generator for this kind of Eclipse projects. Then you
> could simply run cmake -G"Mingw Makefile - Eclipse" and you will get
> everything set up for Eclipse.
>
> If you are interested, it would be nice if you could go ahead and try it and
> ask if you have questions.

I cannot promise a timeline for the try but I would say I "may" try when
Eclipse Europa + corresponding CDT
is out in order to have a stable target to hit.

Moreover I used to be an Eclipse user but not an Eclipse developer
so I would have to dive in the Eclipse .project and .cdtproject
file structure in order to write the Eclipse generator.

Not sure I will have time to do this.
Nevertheless I would let you all know if I start something.

However thank you for the CMake evolution jobs regarding various
IDE support I think its a very interesting path to go.

--
Erk