[CMake] Re: Install of pattern matched files

Rodolfo Lima rodolfo at rodsoft.org
Fri Dec 28 13:33:19 EST 2007

Brandon Van Every escreveu:

> "Too" cumbersome?  Surely you jest.  What's a long-winded list of
> patterns in terms of your development time?  Two minutes tops?

Oh well... thanks for teaching me another word: jest, and I'm not being
ironic.

Back to business... imagine the following use case: a project mixes
headers and source files all inside the same directory, along with other
files. During install, I want to get all headers and copy to
<prefix>/include/mylib. That's it. I think this is a very common
scenario. Right now I'm using cmake to compile and install external
libraries needed for my project that aren't installed by default in the
build system. Say I need to upgrade this library... I don't want to mess
with the build/install recipe again just to add a possibly new file that
was added.

What I'm doing right now is getting the header names using file(GLOB
...) then installing them, but this is not a direct solution (as PATTERN
... EXCLUDE is).

> Sure, "it's easier."  Sounds like a low priority feature request to
> me.  File it in the bug tracker.

I could implement it if I knew that it would be committed to cvs, that's
why I posted the idea here first.

Happy new year,
rod