[CMake] Mac installation and cultural issues

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 02:09:42 EST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 8:51 PM, Mike Jackson <imikejackson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was only hoping for the "option" to install somewhere
> else than the default of /usr/bin.

Installers on MacOS generally allow the choice of installation
location, right?  If they don't, I find that totally bizarre.  In any
event, if CMake uses an installer and doesn't allow a choice of where
to install, that's totally bizarre.

> The power uses who understand the
> implications of moving cmake to another installation location will
> understand we have to adjust our path. Those who do not understand
> path issues probably don't care what is placed where, they just want
> their app to work as Bill has stated.

If checkboxes to set / not set the path are too complicated, then the
installer can issue a warning message that the user needs to set the
path manually.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every