[CMake] Re: escaping!

Andrew Roark andrewjroark at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 14:50:21 EST 2007

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 07:28:02AM -0800, Andrew Roark wrote:
> > > Do you think Lua would help here, I mean, If it were supported
> > > by
> > >
> >  cmake?
> >
> > Sorry Rod - I don't know what you mean here. My apologies.
>
> Ok, rephrasing:
>
> If the language cmake uses were Lua, instead of cmake script, would
> it be easier to tackle more complicated build tasks (like the
> ones you've mentioned previously)?

It's an interesting option.

On the one hand, the CMake script language, though a little odd, is quite simple and reasonably powerful for describing "meta-make" information.

On the other hand, I don't feel it is realistically powerful enough to do significant acts - nor do I really think it should, there are other tools/languages for that.

I used scons for some time before settling on CMake, and though I liked that considerably because I could use a "real" programming language for describing make actions, and lots of other real programming work and class abstractions, ultimately I really loved CMake's simplicity and that it trusted other tools (make, gcc, vstudio, ...) to do the real work.

For my specific use cases - building distribution archives, for example - I feel that is the job of a separate tool/program, not driven purely by the make system infrastructure.

But the idea of a more powerful programming language that drives the same cmake logic is pretty interesting....

Andrew