[CMake] cmake 2.4.8 RC 4

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Sat Dec 22 14:27:46 EST 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 1:00 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
>> So, how does it work?  Where is mate installed?  I have one simple
>> requirement:
>>
>> 1. you install cmake
>> 2. you can run it from the command line, or from the gui without
>> modifying additional things.
>>
>> I don't think that is too much to ask.  If the user has to edit .profile
>> or something else, I don't think it is acceptable.  I will get
>> complaints, "I installed cmake, and I run cmake and it says file not
>> found."  Saying that cmake is for developers is not true.  People use
>> CMake to build things like ParaView.  They may not be developers at all,
>> they just want to build some open source tool.
>
> Having followed this thread, I realize I'm now confused about
> installation practices in the Apple universe.  On Windows we run an
> installer.  If we want CMake included in the path, whatever path we
> chose, we check a box.  Do people not do this sort of thing on Macs?

With UNIX/Mac there is no single way to add stuff to the users path like
there is with Windows.  There are N .something files that can be changed
to add to the PATH, and it all depends on which shell and how things are
run as to which .something file you need to change. Also, each
.something file has a different syntax...

Currently, we have an installer on the Mac that puts the cmake command
line tools into /usr/bin.  This is always in the PATH for any shell you
use on the Mac.  However, for some applications that are self contained,
you can install them, by doing a drop and drag on the application into
the /Applications folder.  This does not put anything in the PATH and
allows no code to be run at install time, because it is just a copy
operation.  After the copy, you can click on the application to run it,
like a desktop icon on windows.

-Bill