[CMake] Migration to subversion

Rodolfo Schulz de Lima rodolfo at rodsoft.org
Sat Dec 22 14:09:09 EST 2007

Hi people,
I've been wondering if there's any will among cmake developers to use
subversion as source versioning management system.

CVS is showing its age, and the benefits I see in migrating to subversion
are:

1) changeset-oriented commits: that's what I miss the most. I want to know
what has been changed in cmake since the last time I updated the tree.
Currently with CVS I must watch what files were changed and do 'cvs log' on
each. Subversion would make it easier since the whole tree is versioned, I'd
have to do something like 'svn log' in the tree's root and peruse its
output, easy.

2) reduction of server data transfers: that's mostly important with diffs,
since a copy of the versioned file is kept and never changed, and diff works
on that copy, instead of requesting the diff to the server.

3) O(1) tagging and branching: that's mostly for developers, cvs does it
O(n) (or more, dunno).

4) Better outputs. 'cvs status' throws up a lot of information, even on
unmodified files. 'svn status' only shows modified files. 'svn diff' doesn't
output non modified file names, unlike cvs' counterpart, etc.

Regards,
rod