[CMake] cmake 2.4.8 RC 4

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Sat Dec 22 13:00:17 EST 2007

Mike Jackson wrote:
> Install textmate, open a terminal and type 'mate new.txt' and Textmate
> will open a new text document titled "new.txt".
>
> Try 'grep -R "something" * | mate" and watch your grep results show up
> in a new TextMate document.
>
> Textmate is a Drag and Drop install. It has combined cli and gui. How is
> this different than cmake?

So, how does it work?  Where is mate installed?  I have one simple
requirement:

1. you install cmake
2. you can run it from the command line, or from the gui without
modifying additional things.

I don't think that is too much to ask.  If the user has to edit .profile
or something else, I don't think it is acceptable.  I will get
complaints, "I installed cmake, and I run cmake and it says file not
found."  Saying that cmake is for developers is not true.  People use
CMake to build things like ParaView.  They may not be developers at all,
they just want to build some open source tool.

The crazy part, is that there is almost no direction from Apple on this.
   I searched and searched but was unable to find any docs on this from
Apple.  If someone could point to some direction from Apple on this I
would appreciate it.  At this point, we can find some apps installing in
/usr/bin and others installing in other places. But, I really don't care
where it goes as long as my two conditions are met.  I certainly have
not found any thing from Apple saying please do not install into
/usr/bin.  Of course if it is going to require changes to CPack, it will
have to wait for 2.6.  I am open to suggestions, I just have a
requirement, which I don't think is unreasonable.

-Bill