[CMake] Re: cmake 2.4.8 RC 4

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 23:28:18 EST 2007

So because a bunch of others are installing in /usr/bin you are going
to do the same thing? What puzzles me is that the default
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is set to /usr/local which seems kinda
hypocritical to me. Either Kitware eats their own dog food or they
believe they are different than every other developer out there that
uses cmake.

   What I really do NOT understand is that I have made a reasonably
compelling argument, got buy-in from the linux and BSD camps and you
still shoot it down with out giving any other type of argument other
than "look at these other people, They are doing it also so it must
be all right".

C'mon, that is a pretty poor argument.

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html   may or may not
help. I don't think that helps terminal based apps.

Intel Compilers are installed in /opt/intel/.... and they have a
Readme file that states you need to source their special environment
file so your paths are adjusted properly.

MacPorts and Fink install everything in /opt/* and then append PATH=
$PATH:/opt/bin to your .bash_profile.

Textmate throws their symlink into /usr/local/bin by default.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/
PortingUnix/distributing/chapter_9_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/
TP40002855-BABGECFG

suggests the use of Bundles and installing system wide resources on
first launch of the application.

Also, Apple provides /Library/* instead of /System/Library for third
party installed items. Apples provides ~/Library for user installed
items. Why would it be any different for /usr/bin versus /usr/local/bin

http://www.macos-x-server.com/wiki/index.php?
title=Installing_Unix_Software_by_Hand  also suggests installing in /
usr/local.

I would suggest using the latest package maker application on OS X.
It looks like you can let the user select where to install the
software. This would eliminate this argument entirely.

--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson & gmail * com