[CMake] cmake 2.4.8 RC 4

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Dec 21 23:04:33 EST 2007

Mike Jackson wrote:

> What I would _really_ like to see is a system like "Textmate" or
> "BBEdit" where cmake is just a drag-and-drop install and the first time
> CMake GUI is launched symlinks to cmake, ccmake, ctest are put into
> /usr/local/bin (or somewhere else the use selects). This makes the
> installation and use of CMake much easier and approachable. With a
> little bit of effort CMake can become a first class OS X application
> which helps it gain mind share in the OS X market. I am _willing_ to
> help with that effort. What do you need.

What if the GUI is never launched?   I really think we need a full
installer for CMake.  It is not a self contained GUI application. I
think we need a managed install:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/Managed_Installs/chapter_5_section_1.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000145i-CH6-SW8

Just because it uses a managed install process does not mean it is not a
first class OS X application.  Xcode uses the same installer we use for
CMake, as do many other projects.  Simple self contained GUI apps can be
dragged and dropped for install, but when you have a mix of GUI and
command line tools and PATH issues, I think you have to use a more
sophisticated installer.  We are using the Apple provided installer, so
it must sort of be an OS X application...

Both BBEdit and Textmate are strictly GUI apps as far as I can tell.

-Bill