[CMake] Re: Bug with cmake's `--debug-trycompile' option?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Dec 20 07:49:31 EST 2007

Clark J. Wang wrote:

> Debugging options are used for debugging, that's right. But I don't
> agree that CMake can give wrong results when run in debug mode. Take the
> `--debug-trycompile' option for example, CMake can leave separate
> build/source files with different filenames in the temp directory for
> each call of TRY_COMPILE.

It could but it does not.  Really, I don't see this as a problem.  There
is no reason you should need the debug mode to work.  The try compile
stuff uses the same file names over and over and over.  Unless stuff is
cleaned out, there is bound to be trouble.  It would be a lot of effort
for no pay back.  I can change the documentation to say not to use this.
After all we don't remove all the stuff for no reason.  As your example
showed, it mostly worked.  Tracking down the few cases where it doesn't
work and figuring out why would be a wast of time IMO.  But, if you want
to track down what is going on, feel free to post a patch to the bug
tracker.  If you think the docs should contain a warning, create  a
feature request.

-Bill