[CMake] Multiple executables sharing object files

Joël Schaerer Joel.Schaerer at insa-lyon.fr
Wed Dec 19 15:40:10 EST 2007

Quoting Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:

> On Wednesday 19 December 2007, you wrote:
>> Yeah, you could even create one static library per executable...
>> Awesome! What was the problem with putting all the object files in the
>> same directory, again? Shouldn't that be an option, at least? It would
>> be SO much easier than all the dirty hacks I'm being proposed...
>
> Different targets may be compiled with different compiler flags,
> defines, etc.
> So the object files for the same source files can differ. This is used in
> some projects.

Of course this is subjective, but having this questionnably useful
feature (I understand it must be useful for some big projects, but for
normal small to mid-sized projects, I really don't see any use for
that) at the expense of much increased compilation time should be an
option (and if you ask me, should be turned off by default).