[CMake] Multiple executables sharing object files

Joel Schaerer joel.schaerer at insa-lyon.fr
Wed Dec 19 11:31:42 EST 2007

> Maybe I am missing something, but why not create a static library and
> share it with the executables?  Why try to reuse object files?  CMake
> makes it very easy to create static libraries and link them to executables.
>
> -Bill

Because then you have to relink all executables each time you change one of the
library files, even the ones that don't rely on that file. Which isn't efficient
either. Say you have 100 library files, and 30 executables, which depend on
average on 20 library files. Using a intermediary static library is not going to
help you...

Object files were probably created exactly for this, so they could be shared
between multiple targets without being rebuilt needlessly. Why exactly isn't
there an option to share the build directory between targets, like it was the
standard behavior prior to 2005?

joel

Joël Schaerer
PhD. Student
Advisors: Patrick Clarysse, Isabelle Magnin
CREATIS-LRMN, UMR CNRS 5220, Inserm U630
INSA de Lyon
7 rue Jean Capelle bat. Blaise Pascal, 4ème étage
F-69621 Villeurbanne CEDEX
France
Tel (+33) 4 72 43 63 06
Fax (+33) 4 72 43 85 26