[CMake] Re: General modernization facility

Rodolfo Lima rodolfo at rodsoft.org
Tue Dec 18 19:31:47 EST 2007

Brandon Van Every escreveu:
>> That would be easy to cope with, no version specification = 2.4.7.
>
> If it actually works under 2.4.7 and doesn't need some other earlier
> version to function with.

We would have to guarantee that version 2.4.7 executes correctly every
script made up till now.

> What if 2.4.7 ships with an arguably bad behavior, 2.4.8 fixes it, and
> my code is stuck with the 2.4.7 behavior because you didn't think
> anyone was ever supposed to avail themselves of improvements?

That would be a big mess, but if the script *works*, even with bad
behavior, so be it. Maybe a warning should be emitted. The point is to
guarantee that the script the author made will work the same way he
intended, forever. It would be wrong if we changed the behavior the
author relied upon.

I think that this solution would let Kitware add disruptive features
with ease.

Regards,
rod