[CMake] Re: premake build system

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Dec 17 15:39:12 EST 2007

Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:

>> If there is something you can not do with the current cmake language
>> that could be done in lua (other than aesthetics), let us know, and
>> provide a patch, or even a report, and most likely we will put it in
>> CMake.  So, no need to fork here...
>
> As I've said somewhere, I'm working on a macro to support precompiled
> headers. To do it properly, cmake should be a little more than a build
> system language. You might say that if I want something more elaborate,
> I could do it in C/C++ and add the command to cmake using load_command.
> But you cannot expect that everyone with a specific need should know a
> complex language like C++.

Something like PCH support is a native build feature that CMake should
support.  As such, it should be done in C++, and built into CMake.  Some
work has been done to support this.  The "hard" stuff for CMake should
be done in C++.   That is the implementation language of CMake.
Ideally, there would be a few commands you would call to enable PCH's in
a cross platform way.   Brad King has looked into this, and because it
is done so different with so many compilers it is hard in any language.
If you really are interested in adding support for this, I would
recommend you work with Brad and try to pick up where he left off.

-Bill