[CMake] Waf build tool

Gonzalo Garramuño ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar
Sun Dec 16 13:11:55 EST 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2007 1:55 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've subscribed to the SCons mailing list.  The SCons community has
> people who got fed up with it and started their own R&D.  It seems
> that the SCons Python 1.5 limitation is a serious one, as developers
> generally only know Python >= 2.2.  Waf is the offering of a fellow
> who clearly thinks OO is important in a build system for some reason.
> http://code.google.com/p/waf/

A quick eval of waf....

	* Its dependency checker is broken.
	  /usr/include is not checked for speed.
	* Swig support is broken.
	* no real multi platform support, it is all do it yourself.
	* out-of-source builds is kind of broken.
	* proper out-of-source builds needs the wscript to be set up
	  with variants (good idea, but badly done).
	* build dir creates stubs for all subdirectories, not only
	  those in build (yuck).
	* no listing of tasks (yuck).
	* you are always forced to write a configure function (yuck).
	* WAY too verbose (yuck).
	* badly documented.

In summary, thanks.  But, no thanks.  With all those problems I did not
even bother checking the speed.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar