[CMake] CMake script vs. Lua (was: Ignoring command return code in add_custom_command)

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:21:26 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 6:09 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
> Quoting Rodolfo Schulz de Lima <rodolfo at rodsoft.org>:
>
> > Bill Hoffman escreveu:
> >> That said, an automatic way of running a cmake script at build time
> >>  as part of a custom_command might be a good feature.
> >
> > Well, if one of the reasons not to use lua is to avoid calling cmake
> > during build, why do it with a cmake script is a good thing?
>
> The most powerful reason not to use Lua is adding Lua effectively
> forces you to know two languages (Lua and CMake script) to use CMake.

If you're writing your own build from scratch in Lua script, why would
you care about CMake script?  If you say "because you're going to need
to look under-the-hood at CMake script modules to figure out how
they're supposed to be used," I'd call that a documentation problem.
CMake script users shouldn't have to look under the hood to figure out
how use CMake modules either.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every