[CMake] Re: CMake script vs. Lua

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Dec 14 18:04:49 EST 2007

On 2007-12-14 18:54-0200 Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:

> [...]What I mostly miss in CMake is a nicer syntax. I look
> to a cmake script and it YELLS at me, with all those upper cased letters.

As a point of information that depends to a certain extent on what style of
CMake scripting you decide to use. For example, every cmake command or macro
command name is case insensitive so I routinely call them with lower case.

I haven't commented before on this thread because I am no language expert,
but I lean toward the conservative side; that is I am pretty much happy with
CMake the way it is (despite my recent bitching about dependencies, :-)).
Obviously, scope is an issue for CMake 2.4.x, but that apparently is now
fixed in the cvs version, and I am sure dependencies will be fixed as well
IF a large fraction of the CMake community gets tired of the two kinds of
dependencies we have now.  But if that doesn't get fixed, I can live with
it.

One of the huge advantages of the CMake scripting that I don't believe has
been emphasized enough in this discussion is it is a small, very easy to
learn language.  I like it that way, and I believe that quality attracts
others to CMake as well.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).