[CMake] Parallel builds do not work correctly when using "cmake -E copy" to copy files

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Dec 14 14:11:36 EST 2007

On 2007-12-14 12:49-0500 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> You might also want to consider visual studio builds.  It will build two
> targets at the same time if there is no dependency between them, and would
> have the same issue.

Currently, we have had no reports about such problems.  However, our windows
developers (and users) tend to use just the core of PLplot mostly because
that was all that was available in the past for our previous home-brew build
system for windows, and installing the extra libraries needed for the rest
of PLplot (additional language interfaces and additional plot device and
plot file drivers) can be an issue for windows users.  Thus, it is quite
possible our windows developers have so far fortuitously skated by the
issue, and that testing of a complete PLplot build on windows would show
similar dependency issues to what I am getting now with parallel builds of a
complete PLplot under Linux.

Hopefully, a complete dependency review and deploying the appropriate
workarounds will make all these PLplot parallel build (and potentially
windows build) problems go away, but I am definitely concerned the review
might miss some complex target- or file-dependency chains that may only
cause intermittent and difficult-to-reproduce parallel build problems.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).