[CMake] Re: Ignoring command return code in add_custom_command

Rodolfo Schulz de Lima rodolfo at rodsoft.org
Fri Dec 14 12:05:03 EST 2007

Bill Hoffman escreveu:
> Right, so you want the execute_process to be executed at build time,
> basically convert the lua/cmake to the right code for the generator.
> Really has nothing to do with the language used.  You want the
> call_command function to run at build time.  Your example is simple and
> does two things, calls execute_process and returns a value.  However,
> you could have anything in the function, and it would all have to be
> converted to build time calls.  The easiest way to do that would be to
> run cmake -S at build time.  Anything else would be really hard...
>
> Again, this has nothing to do with lua vs CMake language.

I see... after some thought I understood that the user would
(rightfully) expect that call_command would be executed in build time.
What if it he executes something that the generator cannot handle (open
a socket and send the return value, for example)? This cannot be done,
and indeed has nothing to do with lua vs. cmake.

While talking about cmake vs. lua... (don't get upset :) ), what is the
current status of this feud?

Regards,
rod